Architectural Institute of British Columbia currently has a very nice - and free - exhibition on that would appeal to everyone from seasoned architects to littlest architecture fans. Check it out! On until August 30th.
Here are a few snaps - there are many more models to view from very complete traditional houses to quick and rough iterative studies:Architectural models, scaled-down representations of big ideas, have long been essential tools of the architectural profession. This exhibition, curated by the AIBC Gallery Committee, highlights the important historic role that architectural models have played in bringing abstract ideas to life while conveying visions of the future. It demonstrates some of the creative ways that architectural models can help architects and designers connect with the public. In so doing, this exhibition also affords a unique, behind-the-scenes glimpse into the creative process. Featured projects were designed by AIBC-registered members, AIBC Intern Architects, or students enrolled in post-secondary architectural programs. Projects include:
- 3 x 3 – Minnie Hiu Yan Chan M.Arch Candidate
- Brentwood Station – Perkins+Will Canada
- Cabins – D’Arcy Jones Design
- Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre – Hughes Condon Marler Architects
- Inlet Residence – FWC Architecture & Urban Design Inc.
- Knoll Residence – FWC Architecture & Urban Design Inc.
- Lynch House – D’Arcy Jones Design
- Nut Farm Residence (unbuilt) – Mark Ritchie Architects Ltd. (Now Architecture Building Culture Inc.)
- Orko Mine – James R Simpson Architect Inc
- Paul – Minnie Hiu Yan Chan M.Arch Candidate, UBC SALA
- Renovation and Addition to a House in Vancouver’s First Shaughnessy Residential District – DB Simpson Architect
- Still House Prototype / Shaw Island House – Level Design
- Studio 34, Townhouse, Desert House, Context, Stair (Arch Studies) – James R Simpson Architect Inc
- Study 01: Itinerant Body – Operative Agency
- UBC Bookstore Expansion and Renovation – Office of McFarlane Biggar Architects + Designers
- UBC District Energy Centre – DIALOG
- VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Center – Perkins+Will Canada
- Villa Donisa – JWT Architecture and Planning
- Waterfall Building – Nick Milkovich Architects Inc.
- White Rock House – Thomas Grimwood Design Inc
- Zacatitos 02 – Campos Leckie StudioThe exhibition takes place at the AIBC Gallery, 100 – 440 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Gallery hours are Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.